In August 2018, the first Certification in Perinatal Mental Health became available through Postpartum Support International.
The Perinatal Mental Health Certification Program creates a structure for professional education and evaluation, and a standardization of training and experience to inform families and payers of perinatal mental health specialists. The certification curriculum requirements build on existing evidence-based perinatal mental health certificate trainings, adding an advanced-training component.
PSI has worked with internationally-known Certification company, Pearson VUE, to develop and publish a computer-based certification exam. Pearson VUE has 30 years’ experience providing test delivery and administration services to professional certification organizations. They have more than 250 company-owned testing centers in the US and nearly 20,000 authorized test centers globally. The Perinatal Mental Health Certification exam will be available beginning August 2018, and candidates will find complete instructions on a customized website page.
The Perinatal Mental Health Certification is available for three groups:
Steps to Certification
Complete One Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Certificate Course (14-hour certificate course)
Required for All Tracks (Psychotherapy, Psychopharmacology and Affiliate). Choose ONE of the following to fulfill this requirement:
- PSI 2-day Perinatal Mood Disorders: Components of Care Course
- Maternal Mental Health Webinar Certificate Course by PSI and 2020 Mom
- Other evidence-based courses by approval. List of approved alternate courses.
- Alternate Perinatal Mental Health Certificate trainings can be submitted for review as an approved Step 1 training. Use the form here to submit.
Complete One Advanced Certificate Training Specific to Your Track
- All PSI virtual and in person Advanced Certificate trainings are approved for the Step 2 requirement.
- Note: At this time, we are considering other online Advanced training on a case-by-case basis. They must be attended live (virtual or in-person), and have an interactive component to be considered eligible. They must meet the additional requirements as usual. To submit a training, please submit a form HERE.
Psychotherapy/Mental Health Track
- PSI Advanced Perinatal Psychotherapy certificate courses are scheduled in various locations and online throughout the year. Click here to see a list of Advanced Certificate courses currently open for registration and sign up for PSI emails to keep in touch.
- You can submit other advanced live (virtual or in person), evidence-based courses for approval of the 6 hours advanced requirement. To request approval for an advanced course, fill out this form.
- PSI’s Advanced Perinatal Psychopharmacology course is offered throughout the year. View the schedule HERE or write to email@example.com for future Advanced Psychopharmacology dates.
- You can submit other advanced in-person evidence-based perinatal psychopharmacology courses for approval of the 6 hours advanced requirement. To request approval for an advanced course, fill out this form.
- PSI Advanced Psychotherapy certificate course will be scheduled in various locations throughout the year. Click here to see a list of PSI courses currently open for registration and sign up for PSI emails to keep in touch. Affiliate professionals can take the PSI Advanced Psychotherapy to meet this qualification.
- ALL breakout sessions at PSI annual conferences fulfill the requirement for advanced affiliated professionals training (minimum 6 hrs)
- You can submit other advanced in-person evidence-based courses for approval of the 6 hours advanced requirement. To request approval for an advanced course, fill out this form.
Apply to Take the Exam
- Starting April 1st, 2022: The application will require you to upload an employment verification form, you can download our Employment Verification/Practice Attestation Form and upload the completed form on the application.
- If you an accommodation request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can arrange your accommodation request before you register for the exam.
- Please submit your application after all requirements have been completed. Once your application has been submitted, the approval process can take up to 3-weeks. If you do not hear back in 3-weeks, email email@example.com.
- If you have just completed a PSI training, it may take extra time to receive participation confirmation. You can email your certificates when you have received them from PSI to expedite your process.
- For training requirements see Step 1 & 2.
- Starting April 1, 2022: Employment Verification Form
- Please upload employment verification (after april 1) and training documentation here.
Register to Take the Exam When You Receive Approval
You will receive an email from PearsonVue upon approval of your application. Email will include registration instructions and your PSI ID#. If you do not receive this in 3-weeks, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prepare to Take the Exam
- Study the materials from your 14-hour certificate course.
- Purchase optional materials – PSI’s 2-day Training Manual is a great study tool. Purchase here (if you did not take the PSI 2-day training)
- Review the Exam Blueprint. The test blueprint contains the content areas for the exam and the distribution of test items across the content areas. View or download Blueprint.
- Come to one (or more) of our First Friday FAQ sessions – register here.
- For more information, write to us at email@example.com
- Read our Certification FAQ page
- Join the PSI Certification team on a monthly Zoom call where we can answer any questions you may have. First Friday of the month at 1pm PST/4EST. Register in advance here.
I Passed the PMH-C Exam. Now what?
You will receive an email from the certification team with a copy of your certificate and additional information about the PMH-C Certification.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org